Some battles in the war against religion (specifically Christianity – and even more specifically Catholicism) have recently gone to the good guys. This gives us hope, but falls far short of any indication that the tide has turned.
Unnatural unions vs. Chick-fil-A
One would think from watching the media or listening to uber-liberal big-city mayors that virtually the entire country backs the destruction of “traditional” marriage as we know it. The pressure has increased markedly since President Obama has given it his fully “evolved” support. Over last weekend, the president’s party voted to endorse “gay marriage” in their platorm.
This is not about equal rights but is another avenue to attack religion. Were “gay marriage” to be the law of the land, teaching and practicing the true Christian faith would be greatly hampered. Speaking against it will become hate speech and marrying heterosexuals but not homosexuals discrimination. Count on it and count on vigorous legal prosecution.
Many companies see upside publicity in announcing their support with little downside. Chick-fil-A is not one of them. They embrace Christian values, natural law and 5,000 years of tradition by simply saying they support marriage as between 1 man and 1 woman. Imagine the outrage from the extremely intolerant homosexual community and their supporters!
Tomorrow Wednesday, August 1st is Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. Show them your support. Also show every other company that the American people are NOT in mindless support of the gay agenda. Buy your lunch or dinner at Chick-fil-A. Treat the whole family, your Boy Scouts or Cub Scouts, your American Heritage Girls, your soccer team, your book club. Order from their catering menu for your function. Chick-fil-A food is a cut above typical fast-food fare, their restaurants are clean, their drive-thru is fast and their employees are friendly. Find them here.
This is something that YOU can do. It is small but may be part of something historic. It is easy, inexpensive, comparably healthy and tastes good too!
HHS mandate and private business
The issue of Obama’s HHS mandate against Christian conscience is often considered in the context of religious institutions such as schools, hospitals, charitable organizations and so on. They are good examples of how his decree (via the HHS which he controls) tramples religious freedom, but the issue is much larger than that because it also tramples upon individual business owners too.
Last week, a Catholic family-owned business in Colorado won an injunction against the ObamaCare mandate. The case must still be heard in court and the injunction applies only to this 1 company. It is a small victory, but it is a start.
This is a promotional video for Hercules Industries from 2009. The company employs 265 full-time workers.
NYC schools ban on worship
For a very long time, NYC schools have blatantly discriminated against off-hours religious use of their facilities. All other external parties were permitted. The ban applied only to the exercise of free speech which, in their opinion, represented “worship.”
Finally, after 17 years of litigation, a US District Court has overturned this law. Now we get to see what new obstacles they can invent.
Twisting the “separation of church and state” principal
The Freedom from Religion Foundation together with Robert Moss in behalf of his minor child, has sued a South Carolina school district. Elective credit is widely given around the country for off-site, elective study. The FRF wanted a test case to block credit if the study was religious in nature, proposing that it violated the so-called separation principal.
Year after year, this extralegal (i.e. not in law) principal is expanded to remove any trace of religious beliefs from every sector of government. This time, a federal appeals court sided with the good guys.
Here is a sampling of some new articles written on this topic in the last few weeks:
- A Kulturkampf Primer
- Affordable Care Act ruling promises religious fights for the forseeable future
- Archbishop Chaput: ‘It’s Going to Be a Long Fight’
- Archbishop Chaput’s Homily for the Closing Mass of the Fortnight for Freedom
- Archbishop Lori: Religious liberty bid unaffected by Supreme Court ruling
- Battle over ObamaCare shifts from courtroom to campaign trail
- Catholic Charities of Chicago lawsuit shows reach of HHS mandate
- Catholic business owners score win against ObamaCare mandate
- Catholics Need To Heed The Prophetic Voice Of The Church!
- Concluding the Fortnight: Now What?
- Congressman introduces Religious Freedom Tax Repeal Act
- Court strikes down NYC ban on churches meeting in schools
- Court’s Obamacare Ruling: What it Means for America
- Crucial Components of Religious Liberty
- Defining Religious Liberty Down
- Dems will include same-sex “marriage” plank in their platform at convention
- Federal court allows company to ignore birth-control mandate
- Five major ObamaCare taxes that will hit your wallet in 2013
- Gay marriage headed to DNC platform
- Government cannot take away true freedom, Archbishop Chaput teaches
- Hercules shows strength, halts Obama abortion pill mandate
- How Will the Church Respond to the Mandate?
- Keith Hennessey: A Strategy to Undo ObamaCare
- Key Quotes from Today’s Decision that Signal the Court’s Willingness to Strike Down the HHS Mandate
- Law in Service of Life
- More to come: Lawsuits over HHS mandate keep health reform law in court
- NCBC Response to the June 28 Ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court Upholding the Affordable Care Act
- Obama Defends HHS Mandate: It’s “Not Fair” That Catholics Won’t Fund Birth Control
- Obamacare is Not Permanent Yet. Not Nearly.
- One HHS Mandate Case Dismissed, Don’t Read Too Much Into It
- Pelosi almost calls health law penalty a tax
- Post-Comfortable Christianity and the Election of 2012
- Religious Liberty and Its Contemporary Enemies
- Religious freedom: use it or lose it
- Religious liberty is ‘a foundational right,’ says Archbishop Chaput
- Rising Threats to American Religious Freedom
- Southern Baptists “Stand With the Bishops” Against the White House
- Supreme Court Keeps Health Care Law on Life Support
- Supreme Court Upholds Health-Care Law, Stage Set for First Amendment Showdown
- The Day After: A Declaration of War
- The Duty to Throw off Such Government
- The Fight for Freedom Begins July Fifth
- The HHS Mandate: What Now, In Light of the Supreme Court Ruling?
- The Obamacare Decision: A Mixed Bag
- The Roadmap to Obamacare Repeal
- The State Of Liberty
- The Two Social Justice Priorities
- To Fix Healthcare System, Put Consumers In Charge
- VICTORY: Private Company Wins Challenge to HHS Mandate
- What Will Independence Day in 2013 Look Like?
- Wheaton College (Protestant) joins Catholic institutions in lawsuit against HHS mandate
- Wheaton College Sues Over HHS Mandate
- Wheaton College backs, rabbi blasts Catholic bishops