My family has always supported scouting. By “scouting,” I mean the real deal – the Boy Scouts of America and the Girl Scouts of the USA. We knew these organizations to be excellent partners in forming Christian values. We trust them.
The Boy Scouts, like the Catholic Church, has taken a lot of flak for standing firm against a secular, relativistic society. Shockingly, the Girl Scouts have not. In fact, they have every intention to embrace the toxic sexual perversions of the secular world (if you think that is over-the-top, see below).
We partner with many organizations. We have relationships with our church communities, with YWCAs, and with Planned Parenthood organizations across the country, to bring information-based sex education programs to girls.Kathy Cloninger
Girl Scouts CEO
As America’s largest abortion provider, I believe that Planned Parenthood is the face of evil. Their apologists will often point out that Planned Parenthood is not just about abortion. Fair enough. They also provide contraceptives and promote sexual immorality that leads to abortion. This is where their partnership with the Girl Scouts comes in.
PP, together with the Girl Scouts, endeavor to provide sex education to your children. PP’s provocative brochure entitled Healthy, Happy and Hot has been distributed to thousands of young girls and it is every bit as bad as it sounds (WARNING: graphic content follows, inappropriate at any age):
Sex can feel great and can be really fun! Many people think sex is just about vaginal or anal intercourse. But, there are lots of different ways to have sex and lots of different types of sex. Sex can include kissing, touching, licking, tickling, sucking, and cuddling. Some people like to have aggressive sex, while others like to have soft and slow sex with their partners. There is no right or wrong way to have sex. Just have fun, explore and be yourself!
Improve your sex life by getting to know your own body. Play with yourself! Masturbation is a great way to find out more about your body and what you find sexually stimulating. Don’t stop there: find out how your partner’s body works, what makes them feel good and what gives them pleasure. Talking with your partner about what you each like and what feels good is the best way to have great sex.
Your skin is the largest erogenous zone on your body, and your mind plays a big role in your desire for sex and sexual pleasure. Caress and lick your partner’s skin. Explore your partner’s body with your hands and mouth. Mix things up by using different kinds of touch from very soft to hard. Talk about or act out your fantasies. Talk dirty to them. Tickle, tease and make them feel good.
Do you feel comfortable reading the above text? Is it the kind of thing you expect your 8-16 year old daughter to receive at her scout meeting?
Some Catholic dioceses around the country still support Girl Scout troops. I am certain that all troops led by faithful Catholics and other like-minded Christians would never distribute this filth to their girls. Yet, these troops support Kathy Cloninger and the national body. Their girls participate in events with other troops with different values. All material from Girl Scouts of the USA must be viewed as suspect in light of this and the very up-front intentions of their leadership.
This alarms the Boy Scouts. In fact, they saw it coming. Two years ago the BSA took the unusual step of outright support for the American Heritage Girls. They are “a Christ-centered leadership and character development ministry.” In short, they are what the Girl Scouts once were.
Catholic dioceses around the country now support American Heritage Girls. If yours has not yet dropped the Girl Scouts, ask why not. Your parish, or a nearby parish, may support AHG even if your diocese does not. If worse comes to worse, consider an AHG troop at another Christian church in your area. Unlike GSUSA, nothing about the AHG is contrary to Catholic teaching.
An excellent resource on this issue is Girl Scouts – Why Not? I wrote about another informative website in 7 Quick Takes Friday last June: Speak Now: girl scouts (created by 2 young, ex-Girl Scouts). Finally, Abby Johnson (an ex-PP director) also wrote about this outrage for LifeNews.com.
UPDATE: Some additional comments…
The GSUSA and their supporters deny everything, alleging a smear campaign (ask yourself: why in the world would anyone do that?). Letters from GS state organizations do the same. Many people note that the leadership of their local troop is wholesome – I believe them. Yet, the reigns of the organization are now firmly in the hands of those in strong conflict with core Christian values. The evidence is irrefutable and manifests itself in both direct and subtle ways even at the local level (printed materials, badges, etc.).
Compare this to the American Heritage Girls. Do you know how much controversy there is surrounding them? ZERO. Are parents and girls pleased with that organization? Just ask any of them! AHG was created specifically because of the moral decay in GSUSA leadership. They are now what the Girl Scouts once were.
Websites reporting on the sad fall of the Girl Scouts…
Excellent videos (new as of July 2012)
Not convinced and need more proof?
There is more on the Girl Scouts Why Not? YouTube channel.
EWTN The Good Fight
Barbara McGuigan discussed the Girl Scouts with her guests on February 2, 2013.
For more information, also see these articles…
- Girl Scouts of Britain Replace ‘God’ with ‘Myself’ in Oath (06/20/2013)
- Girl Scouts USA Pushes Video Honoring Pro-Abortion Activists (06/05/2013)
- Girl Scouts Still Humming The Pro-Abortion Chorus (03/02/2013)
- Missouri Right to Life Policy on the Girl Scouts (01/16/2013)
- New Video Series Documents Pro-Life Concerns About Girl Scouts (07/10/2012)
- Do the Girl Scouts Really Help Girls? (06/13/2012)
- Is the Girl Scouts Safe for Catholic Girls? Part 2 (06/07/2012)
- Is the Girl Scouts Safe for Catholic Girls? (06/06/2012)
- Catholic Bishops Question Girl Scouts Programs (05/11/2012)
- Bishops to Investigate Girl Scouts? Planned Parenthood Ties (05/10/2012)
- Facing Life Head-On: Girl Scouts (TV documentary)
- Catholic parish bans Girl Scout troops over ties to Planned Parenthood (01/25/2012)
- Girl Scouts in DC Respond to Planned Parenthood Link Charges (01/27/2012)
- Girl Scout Troops Banned From Va. Church (01/23/2012)
- Say no to Girl Scout Cookies (1/16/2012)
- Girl Scouts Leadership: Pro-Choice, Pro-Gay Ideologues (1/14/2012; comprehensive)
- Girl Scouts quash pro-lifer (01/11/2012)
- CNA: Catholic ministry under fire over Girl Scouts’ pro-abortion ties (11/17/2011)
- Quit the Girl Scouts Over Their Planned Parenthood Connection (09/23/2011; Abby Johnson)
- Girl Scouts, Sullied (06/03/2011)
- Denver bishop: Girl scouts could make girls more open to pro-abortion agenda (06/01/2011)
- Just say no to feminists’ boot camp (02/03/2011)
- Relationship Between Girl Scouts & Planned Parenthood? (09/23/2010)
- American Heritage Girls and Boy Scouts Sign Memorandum of Mutual Support (07/06/2009)
- Report Shows Girl Scout Troops Work With Pro-Abortion Planned Parenthood (04/12/2004)
- Girl Scouts: “We Partner With Planned Parenthood Organizations” (03/09/04)