7 Quick Takes Friday (set #21)

This week: Making San Francisco safe from “Happy Meals.” Capitalizing on the Tucson tragedy. Thank our troops. I “heart” NY, unless I am an unborn child. The extinction of pro-life Democrats. Automated confessions. A quote of the week.

— 1 —

The nanny state of San Francisco bans toys from McDonald’s “Happy Meals.” This is just too funny, even if it is from The Daily Show:

If your browser doesn’t show the video above, click here.

— 2 —

By now we have all heard about the horrible tragedy in Tucson. The horror and evil speak for themselves. The purposes of the perpetrator are irrelevant and not worthy of consideration, even if they were sane (which may not be the case). Those who would use this for their own political purposes are beneath contempt, yet some were very quick to do so.

In the past I have featured some excellent videos by Andrew Klavan, a lucid and insightful commentator. His recent column is well worth reading on this issue. (Want to know who to blame? Pat Achbold has that covered over at the National Catholic Register.)

— 3 —

Let's Say Thanks

— 4 —

New York City, abortion capitol of the world! An unborn child in New York has a 40% chance of being killed in the womb. If they are black, 60% (genocide – n : systematic killing of a racial or cultural group [syn: {race murder}, racial extermination]).

These are the fruits of this proud bastion of the liberal mindset. Commentator G. Tracy Mehan notes: “All of the usual suspects, of course, have raised the cry for even more sex education and contraception without any sense of irony that these value-free approaches to human sexuality merely propel a self-defeating treadmill of more promiscuity, more out-of-wedlock births, more social and marital breakdown, more deaths of unborn children, more male irresponsibility, and the denigration of women and mothers.” Read his article over at The American Spectator NYC: The Statue of Liberty or The Grim Reaper?.

— 5 —

The termination of a pregnancy is not a choice, it is murder. Yes, that is blunt but it is the truth our faith teaches. Neither major US political party has a monopoly on good ideas or even consistent ideology. Faithful Catholics could choose pro-life candidates from either party without becoming complicit in the death of innocents (regardless of the candidates other worthy positions).

How sad it is then that one party, with some otherwise honorable goals, has gone so completely pro-abortion that it now virtually defines them as the party of death. Please read Dr. Paul Kengor’s recent piece in The American Spectator entitled Death of the Pro-Life Democrat.

— 6 —

Check-out this humorous video entitled Automatic Confession:

Thanks to Kathleen Blease.

— 7 —

Quote of the week:

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that “the buck stops here. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Barack Obama, 2006

Thanks to Patrick Archbold.


Some random thoughts or bits of information are worthy of sharing but don’t warrant their own full post. This idea was started by Jennifer Fulwiler at Conversion Diary to address this blogging need. So, some Fridays I too participate when I have accumulated 7 worthy items. Thank you Jen for hosting this project!

Share this!  Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponEmail this to someone

Comments

  1. The termination of a pregnancy is not a choice, it is murder. Yes, that is blunt but it is the truth our faith teaches.

    Not only is it what our faith teaches, but it's what reason teaches. If a woman is pregnant, the "fetus" already has a sex and there's a 50% chance that it's a male. Boys have penises, girls do not. So if it's "her body," as so many assert, she has a penis? No, the baby has a penis.

  2. Thanks Liz, good comment. Funny too! I had not heard that specific point before but it is completely logical.

    This is another good opportunity for a comment to the general blogosphere. At the moment of conception, the uniting of a man and woman present biological "materials" back to God for the creation of a new human person. The baby is given unique DNA, related to but distinct from either parent. While it is not (close, but not 100%) a matter of doctrine, many believe (including me) that ensoulment also occurs at conception. Personally, I also believe that it is at that moment the baby receives their guardian angel. A totally amazing, miraculous and precious gift of new life is created for all eternity.

    How tragic it is then when someone exercises a non-existent "choice" to "terminate" that life. Acting as God is not a right they ever had. Tragic also are those who pressure women into this, those who participate directly in this crime against humanity and those who are complicit in it — particularly voters for politicians who (regardless of professed "personal beliefs") are enablers of this grave evil.

    I will get off my soap box now…

  3. That's a great point too. I think I believe the same about the ensoulment and guardian angel assignment…and it does speak to how people don't believe they deserve God's attention or love.

Share Your Thoughts

*

show