We are blessed to have some truly outstanding bishops. Excellent shepherds who are not afraid to speak-out on issues of faith, knowing they will be vigorously attacked by secular interests (and “progressive” Catholics too). I gave some examples back in November 2010.
Likewise, we also have some exceptional priests. One such man is Father Michael Rodriguez of the Diocese of El Paso. John Quinn recently made a list of Fr. Rodriguez’ quotes about homosexual acts on his excellent Courageous Priest blog:
- I urge all of the Catholic faithful to treat homosexuals with love, understanding, and respect. At the same time, never forget that genuine love demands that we seek, above all, the salvation of souls. Homosexual acts lead to the damnation of souls. Any Catholic Who Supports Homosexual Acts
- Furthermore, a Catholic would be guilty of a most grievous sin of omission if he/she neglected to actively oppose the homosexual agenda, which thrives on deception and conceals its wicked horns under the guises of “equal rights,” “tolerance,” “who am I to judge”,” etc. Any Catholic Who Supports Homosexual Acts
- Remember: Every single Catholic, out of fidelity to charity and truth, has the absolute duty to oppose (1) the murder of unborn babies, and (2) any and all government attempts to legalize homosexual unions. Any Catholic Who Supports Homosexual Acts
- I was ordained to the Catholic priesthood to offer sacrifice and teach the only truth which brings salvation and happiness… The priesthood is my greatest joy. In the present circumstances, I intend to try even harder to be a good, holy priest. Obedience to my bishop is essential to the priesthood. Bishop Publicly Disciplines Fr. Rodriguez
- Today, throughout 21st century America, elementary school children are being indoctrinated by homosexual activists that there are “different kinds of families.” Jesus Christ preached against the man who looks upon a woman and lusts after her. (Mt 5:28). Today, 21st century man, a slave to the fires of his passion and lust, cries “equal rights” in order to justify the abomination of male-male or female-female “unions.” The stench of moral decadence surrounds us, and yet we insist on spreading the lie that we of the 21st century are “enlightened and progressive” because we’ve “moved beyond the prejudices of the past. The Truth About Homosexuality, Part IV
- A truly pastoral approach will appreciate the need for homosexual persons to avoid the near occasions of sin. We wish to make it clear that departure from the Church’s teaching, or silence about it, in an effort to provide pastoral care is neither caring nor pastoral. The Truth About Homosexuality, Part IV
- Above all, we are to show love and compassion towards homosexuals by leading them to the truth, and helping them to reject sinful homosexual activity. Remember, it’s about saving souls! We must be firm, yet humble, patient, and caring. Love and compassion means assisting the homosexual person to live chastely, form wholesome friendships, and grow in the virtues: peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity, mildness, faith, and modesty. (Gal 5:22) Happiness and self-fulfillment can never be gained through sinful relationships and disordered sexual activity. The Truth About Homosexuality
- Under no circumstances can sinful homosexual acts ever be approved. Woe to the Christian who denies the reality of sin! It is never loving and respectful to lie to homosexuals by telling them that homosexual behavior is o.k. or “normal.” Don’t be fooled by the well-orchestrated campaigns of misinformation and deceit by pro-homosexual groups which have infested the media. Instead, trust in God and His commandments! Trust in the teachings of His Church! Homosexual acts were, are, and always will be an abomination before God and man. This is an infallible moral teaching of the Catholic Church to which every Catholic must give assent. The Truth About Homosexuality, Part II
The embedded links go to the full Courageous Priest posts. View them for the complete context. The quotes were posted in Father Rodriguez’s 2011 Top Eight Quotes
Note that Fr. Rodriguez’ efforts were strongly supported by the faithful in his parish, but political and other forces were arrayed against him. Unfortunately, he did not enjoy the support of his liberal bishop. His Excellency Armando X. Ochoa reassigned Father to a small parish in a far corner of the diocese.
Fr. Rodriguez has introduce the EF (Latin) Mass in his new, smaller parish and continues to teach the authentic Catholic faith. Bishop Ochoa is no longer in the El Paso diocese.